Our Tribes program
Our values are based on a learning program known as Tribes. The Tribes mission is to ensure the healthy development of every child so that each has the knowledge, skills and resilience to be successful in our rapidly changing world.
Tribes is a cultural process that enhances the capacity of a whole school community to build an inclusive, emotionally safe, brain compatible learning environment, a process that engages all students as active lifelong learners.
Students achieve because they:
- feel included and appreciated by peers and teachers
- are respected for their different abilities, cultures, gender, interests and dreams
- are actively involved in their own learning
- have positive expectations from others that they will succeed.
The Tribes process creates a positive learning environment, where each individual is valued. There are shared understandings about how people treat each other, and children are involved in cooperative group learning and self-reflection.
Tribes is a step-by-step process to achieve specific learning goals. Five agreements are honoured in our school:
- Attentive listening
- Appreciations / No put downs
- Mutual respect
- Right to think
- Personal best
Students learn a set of collaborative skills so they can work well together in long-term groups (Tribes).
The focus is on how to:
- help each other work on tasks
- set goals and solve problems
- monitor and assess progress
- celebrate achievements.
The Tribes process is recognised as a very successful cooperative learning model because it teaches and gives daily practice to important individual and team building skills