Special programs at Monty South
Prep Investigations is a science-based program where students are given an opportunity to complete true investigations. Students are taught the steps and are given freedom and flexibility to take their investigations where their interests lay.
Literacy and maths is heavily embedded in the program.
Writing is a big focus of Prep Investigations and many more genres of writing will be accessible for children through the real life experiences they will be participating in throughout this program.
The learning space has been set up to replicate the design process the children follow. These are the steps the children will become familiar with:
- Planning: Where we think about what we would like to make and we draw and label what we are making. We also think about what we might need.
- Research: Where we can use books and iPads to learn new things about what we want to make.
- Resources: Where we collect everything we need to make our project. Sometimes we might forget things but we can always come back to this space.
- Create/explore: Where we make our design or carry out our experiments.
- Reflecting: Where we sit down and think about all the things we like about our design.
During terms 1 and 2, the children complete the same projects as either a whole class or in small groups to support them through the process. In term 3 the children are given the opportunity to decide what they would like to create or explore.
The aim is for them to be able to carry out their project with minimal teacher input.
The following are examples of projects the students might like to explore:
- Creating a house for a special toy
- Designing clothes for toys
- Investigating paper aeroplanes
- Exploring how to make a volcano erupt
- Building tall but stable towers
This investigative format allows the children to take their ideas wherever they like – thus catering for individual abilities and interests.
Other Extension Programs
- Extension maths
- Tournament of the Minds
- Inter-School debating
Extra curricular programs
Montmorency South provides a range of extra curricular activities for children to participate in. These programs are usually implemented as a response to parent requests and in consultation with school teaching staff. Childrens’ participation rates in the program are high. Currently we are able to offer the following programs:
The ensemble group meet on a weekly basis.
Individual music tuition program
Children receive individual tuition on a weekly basis in keyboard & strings.
After school hours
Chess Club, Kelly Sports Program, and other programs.
Some of these activities are user pays, and provided that the school has enough willing students we will continue to provide and expand the breadth of these activities. New suggestions are always welcome and can be offered to our Principal.